Systems Engineer- CBTC, Signaling, Train Control
Ready to put your engineering expertise to work on marquee rail & transit projects that will change the urban fabric of our community? Parsons is working on several fronts with the NY MTA agencies to develop and test new CBTC technologies to more quickly modernize the NYCT signal system. Parsons is now hiring a Systems Engineer for
our rapidly expanding transportation projects New York City.
Do you have a working knowledge of a broad range of rail systems elements, including Train Control, Passenger Communications Systems, and Rolling Stock? If so, this position is for you. Key Roles and Job Description:
Transit Systems Engineering Expertise:
You will provide engineering expertise to support the planning, design, procurement and implementation of complex rail transit systems. You will interact on a daily basis with multiple levels of clients and suppliers from senior management to direct labor as well as addressing the interface with contractors and consultants.
Preferred Education & Experience:
- Serve as a design integrator/system integrator to effectively interface legacy system designs and new designs developed by system suppliers.
- The candidate should be very familiar with the CBTC systems architecture as defined in IEEE 1474 regarding, automatic train supervision, automatic train protection and automatic train operation.
- Provide expert analysis and advice in order to identify, test and integrate new technologies and design concepts with legacy infrastructure.
- Derive functional/performance requirements and documentation for communications based train control systems based on client needs and requirements
- Develop test plans and analyses to support the evaluation of new technologies
- Produce system and subsystem requirement specifications, interface specifications and test requirement documents by analyzing, decomposing, modeling and refining requirements and typical train control domain requirements
- Evaluate or prepare operational plans and reports that relate to CBTC system operational and performance requirements
- Assess plans and technical documentation to support a safe, reliable, maintainable, high quality, and sustainable ATC system
- Prepare specialized CBTC analysis based on engineering skills and detailed knowledge and experience covering one or more of the following:
- Safety distance calculations
- Headway simulations
- Radio/network knowledge including RF
- Logic and continuous controls design
- Ethernet LAN communications
Skills and Knowledge
- 10-15 years of related work experience, with at least 5 years of experience as a system engineer.
- Professional Engineering License in NY and NJ is preferred
- Specific technical expertise in formal System Engineering principles is a plus. Demonstrated ability with integration and implementation of complex systems is required. Candidate should have a thorough familiarity with Communications Based Train Control Systems (CBTC) from key suppliers in the market such as Siemens, Thales and Alstom. Candidate should also have some familiarity with RF Communications, conventional block signaling and Positive Train Control (PTC) technologies.
- Knowledge of requirements management tools, such as DOORS
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio
- Strong technical writing skills and interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge of related industry systems engineering standards and processes and best practices
- Has understanding and experience with industry best practice structured engineering design and development processes
- Ability to apply IEEE 1474 and/or CENELEC standards and/or working knowledge of these standards
Location/Region: New York, NY