The Recreation Assistant at the Center Against Domestic Violence will provide a nurturing educational environment for school aged children who have witnessed or experienced domestic violence. This role will also assist the Supervisor of Recreation.
Responsibilities & Skills
- Ensure the safety of the children.
- Provide after school homework assistance and outdoor activities for children.
- Assist in planning, developing, promoting, implementing and coordinating recreation/education programming for adults and children, including on and off-site activities for daytimes, evenings and weekends.
- Conduct group activities, including arts and crafts workshops, field trips, leisure activities, independent living skills courses and other on- and off-site activities as assigned.
- Assist in scheduling events and developing community resources that provide educational, cultural and recreational activities.
- Assist in preparing all reports, and maintaining attendance and other records.
- Maintain contact with parent to inform them of child/children's progress and needs, to facilitate attendance, and to ensure smooth program functioning.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Basic knowledge of child development.
- Sensitivity to domestic violence issues.
- Sensitivity to diverse cultural needs.
- Must obtain Basic First Aid and child/adult CPR after hire.
Education / Experience
- Associate Degree Required. Bachelor's Degree in Education Preferred.
- Minimum one year of classroom and/or teaching experience in arts and crafts, athletic activities, etc.
The Center Against Domestic Violence is dedicated to preventing violence within the family and to promoting the well-being and economic independence of women and children through safe shelters, a network of supportive services, advocacy, coalitions, education and resource information services.
Location/Region: New York, NY (US)