The Rare.us newsroom is looking for an all-around star who can play all positions on a scrappy team hungry to do more. Multi-tasking and management skills are key; the best candidates will be those who can assign, edit, coach and still stay responsive to the interests of our heartland audience.
This is a fantastic opportunity for emerging leaders in journalism. You will be responsible for organizing daily production, including leading meetings, planning coverage and assigning stories. You'll work with writers and videographers to identify angles and shape content that resonates with the Rare audience, then help us pioneer the best ways to tell those stories to our primarily mobile readers.
You'll stay on top of that audience, studying data and user behavior. With this knowledge, you'll program the destination experience to establish and hone the Rare voice. You'll have a hand in the push experience, too, scheduling stories on social media and helping to build a content strategy that defines the Rare brand while supporting traffic goals.
· A passion for the topics we cover and the audience we serve
· A drive to win
· Excellent news judgment and a strong nose for trending topics. Knack for seeing tomorrow’s big story today
· Keen sense of the competitive landscape and actionable ideas for standing out from the crowd
· Keen sense of standard media biases and tropes – and a passion for dissecting and dismantling partisan talking points
· An independent spirit that thrives in a startup environment can make decisions quickly and can handle several tasks at once
· Adept at writing, editing, copy-editing and story production
· Storytelling experience across a range of media, particularly photo and video
· Solid experience in social media, SEO practices and community management
· Knowledge of analytics and audience research
· Understanding of rights issues and verifying found content
· Savvy headline writing on a variety of platforms
· Ability to manage teams and projects
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; listening and thinking is a must
Education: Journalism degree or equivalent experience.
Experience: 5 years daily newsroom experience with a heavy dose of digital storytelling.