PRIMARY POSITION OBJECTIVE
To implement the goals of the Tahlequah Area Convention and Visitors Bureau for “The purpose of encouraging, promoting and fostering tourism, conventions and trade shows in the Tahlequah area.”
This position is responsible for identifying and communicating the needs of Tahlequah area visitors, a responsibility which includes gathering information and ideas; conducting research; developing advertising, promotional programs, and materials; preparing media coverage to bring attention to Tahlequah area activities and events, traveling to trade shows and special events to solicit visitors to the Tahlequah area including bus tour groups; and promoting the city’s image so that Tahlequah will be developed and maintained as a visitor destination.
This is a full-time, salaried position. The regular work schedule is Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm. Some evening hours and/or weekends will be required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Convention and Visitors Bureau Assistant Director shall:
- Enhance the focus on the Tahlequah area as a tourist destination by targeting selected markets of state, regional, and national associations and assisting and providing services for Tahlequah area guests related to tourism.
- Produce collateral materials to enhance the promotion and marketing of the Tahlequah area;
- Implement an annual strategic marketing program to increase awareness of the Tahlequah area as a tourist destination;
- Participate in local, state, and national associations to promote Tahlequah and to monitor local, state, and national industry trends to develop new programs and generate additional revenue;
- Prepare agendas and reports
- Adhere to the mission and vision of the Tahlequah Area Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Tahlequah Area Chamber of Commerce and policies and procedures.
- Have the ability to work independently or in group settings;
- Exercise direct and indirect supervision/responsibilities over assigned professional staff, interns, and volunteers;
- Prepare an annual budget and manage the financials on a daily basis and in accordance with approval by the TACVB.
- Maintain information, updates, corrections, and revisions for tourtahlequah.com, the TACVB’s official website.
- Serve as a liaison between the City of Tahlequah leaders and officials, TACVB, and Tahlequah area businesses and organizations, thereby working towards common goals for the betterment of the community;
- Oversee media-related marketing and promotions and content for TACVB collateral materials, print and/or website advertising programs, tourism literature, radio or television promotions, and social networking sites.
- Manage the daily operations of the TACVB office, as per TACVB adopted policy and procedures.
- Recruit, schedule, and coordinate itinerary planning for tour groups, motor coach groups, and special group functions and serve as a resource between tour professionals and Tahlequah’s tourism/hospitality industry partners to ensure accurate and timely planning and communication, thereby meeting the needs of customers.
- Manage meeting room scheduling, set-up, tear down, security, and other jobs associated with event and meeting planning.
- Perform other duties and related tasks as assigned by the TACVB.
Minimum requirement of a bachelor’s degree with emphasis in Business Administration, Marketing, Hospitality, and/or Journalism preferred.
- Minimum of three to five years’ experience, in tourism- or hospitality-related field;
- Knowledge of marketing principles and practices as related to the tourism industry;
- Ability to communicate clearly, be adherent to deadlines, including ability to create and write press releases/articles for media outlets, brochure and collateral material, and newsletters on a wide variety of subjects using clear, credible, and innovative techniques;
- Possess exceptional organizational and managerial skills, with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to be flexible in scheduling, including ability to travel.
- Possess strong public relations skills with the ability to work tactfully and courteously with staff, business partners, public officials and agencies, private sector professionals, and the general public.
SKILLS AND SPECIFICATIONS:
- Preferred knowledge of the geography, historical, cultural and area tourism resources of the City of Tahlequah and surrounding areas.
- Computer and/or experience with other technology equipment and programs, including Microsoft Office Applications, Internet search engines, and smartphones; ability to type on a computer keyboard, proofread effectively, presentation projectors/screens, and other equipment that is used to perform the duties of this position.
- Possess skills in compiling data, preparing reports, and maintaining files and records.
- Expanded knowledge of social media and best practices in all areas of digital media and web.
The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light to moderately heavy objects and uses tools or equipment requiring dexterity.
Day-to-day work is typically performed in the TACVB office; however, daily operations and communications are to be continued when the individual is traveling on business. Working outside of the office could consist of travel- or tourism-related trade shows and conventions, not the typical office environment.
The TACVB Assistant Director is supervised by the Tahlequah Area Convention and Visitors Bureau Board of Directors and reports directly to the Director of the Tahlequah Chamber. The Assistant Director will supervise TACVB staff, volunteers, and interns on a daily basis and in accordance with TACVB rules of operation and Chamber by laws and Chamber policies and procedures.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Salary is commensurate with education or applicable work experience. Drug screen/test, skills testing, background check or other testing related to the duties and responsibilities of the position may be required.