Marketing and Development Director/Contract Opportunity
28,000 - $34,000
New Castle, Delaware
The City of New Castle, Delaware is located just 10 minutes south of downtown Wilmington with easy access from I-95 and I-295. Overlooking the Delaware River, Historic New Castle is the oldest continuously occupied town in the Delaware Valley. And, thanks to preservation efforts, this vibrant, fully occupied community remains one of the most important Colonial/Federal villages in America in the number and authenticity of its historic structures. The New Castle Court House Museum is part of the First State National Historical Park. Much of downtown New Castle is part a National Historic Landmark District.
New Castle is great place to live, work and play. New Castle is known for its thriving historic downtown, diverse neighborhoods with many housing styles, outdoor open spaces and recreation including Battery Park, multiple playgrounds, trails, nature areas, tennis courts, sailing club, library and museums.
We are a business-friendly City with expedited permitting, community policing and competitive, reliable electric and water service. There are a variety of locations including historic downtown, three business parks, shopping centers and individual sites.
Marketing and Development Director/Contract
The City of New Castle seeks an organized, dynamic, energetic, commercial revitalization professional or firm that can help market and develop business within our City. The candidate will work independently with downtown and local business and property owners, local government officials, and nonprofit agencies and organizations to promote Historic New Castle and surrounding areas as a vibrant and thriving city and to preserve the historic nature of the downtown area as a unique and inviting place to visit, work and live. Primary duties and responsibilities include fundraising, marketing, networking, and cultivation of positive working relationships
, budgeting and planning. The ideal candidate or firm(s) will be an enthusiastic supporter of local businesses, have an understanding of the distinctive history and character of New Castle andbe unafraid to reach out to and communicate regularly with business and property owners. In addition, the right candidate will be able to work in concert with local officials and organizations on convergent projects and efforts, and will be able to think progressively about future direction to promote new businesses and economic growth/investment inthe City, while providing a quality of life that makes citizens and others want to live here.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing partnerships and strong working relationships with merchants, business owners, property owners, town officials, regional leaders, and other related groups to effectively implement City initiatives and serving as a conduit for resources and programs likely to benefit them.
- Developing a plan to identify business opportunities for entrepreneurs to encourage additional businesses to locate here.
- Promoting a vibrant business climate and employment opportunities for residents.
- Designing and implementing an effective communications and marketing plan with strategies to position the City as a good place to live, work and play.
- Creating an environment for downtown business investment based on the community-driven Main Street approach developed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation and other proven strategies by working with local groups such as the Historic New Castle Main Street Affiliate and Downtown Delaware.
- Representing the City of New Castle with New Castle County and state economic development groups and organizations such as the New Castle County Chamber of Commerce and the Delaware Division of Small Business, Development and Tourism.
- Coordinating with tourism agencies such as the Greater Wilmington Convention and Visitors Bureau, National Park Service, New Castle Historical Society, Delaware Historical Society, and State Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs
- Ensuring that activities and work plans are well coordinated and communicated, and effectively carried out.
- Grant writing and fundraising to help accomplish the outlined objectives
Qualifications & Experience
- A bachelor’s degree and minimum of three (3) years related experience in one or more of the following areas: economic development, planning, historic preservation, retail and marketing. A master’s degree in a related field or may be substituted for one (1) year of experience
- Excellent organizational, budgeting and time management skills as well as ability to work independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal communication skills
- Public relations and social media skills with basic web update capabilities
- Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, and database skills
- A good understanding of issues and political complexities confronting business owners, property owners, public agencies and community organizations in historic centralbusiness districts
- Experience with economic development projects, historic tax credits, and/or mixed-use development
- Ability to handle light to medium physical demands
Compensation: $28,000 - $34,000 annual part-time salary or contract based on experience, qualifications and/or work scope proposal.
Work Schedule – This is a part time position of approximately 25 hours a week. Hours may include nights and weekends as necessary for meetings and events, with the ability for flex and comp time. Contractual proposals by qualified firms will also be considered.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three (3) references or a proposal to Bill Barthel via the apply option.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled or contract established. AA/EOE