In order to serve more clients, Central Minnesota Legal Services relies on dedicated volunteer attorneys in our service area to supplement the l legal services provided by staff. its St. Cloud and Willmar offices serving 21 counties.
VAP pairs low-income clients seeking help with various civil legal needs with private practice attorneys who volunteer their time to advise or represent clients through legal advice clinics, brief services, and extended representation.
With the assistance of volunteers, CMLS can serve many more low income citizens who live in central Minnesota from abuse, help maintain parent-child relationships, and obtain relief from illegal debt collection practices. Often legal issues come up for clients that volunteers can meet through their special expertise.
The Benefits of Volunteering
In addition to gaining fulfilling the ethical requirements of Rule 6.1, the Benefits of volunteering with CMLS include:
- Malpractice insurance on any case placed through VAP
- Free and reduced cost Continuing Legal Education credits through Minnesota State Support and Minnesota CLE
- Earn 1 CLE credit for every 6 hours of volunteer work for up to 6 credits in a CLE reporting period per Rule 6 of the Board of Continuing Legal Education.
- Recognition as a North Star Lawyer with the Minnesota State Bar Association for attorneys who volunteer 50 or more hours in a year
- Gaining courtroom experience
Located in St. Cloud office. Duties include: maintain files and general office duties; phone clients and volunteers; data entry; assist with community outreach. Excellent verbal and written skills; strong organizational, time management and administrative skills; Strong proficiency in computer applications – MS Word, Outlook and Excel. Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle. Salary: D.O.E
Location/Region: Minneapolis, MN