Serves under direction from the Travis County Juvenile Board. Operates as Chief Executive Officer for the Travis County Juvenile Probation Department (TCJPD), directing highly complex operations in accordance with state, federal, and local statutes, rules, and regulations. Leads, directs, and oversees the planning, organizing, evaluating, and implementing of all TCJPD operations encompassing probation and court services, detention and residential services, health services, domestic relations office, court administration, fiscal, administration, and Juvenile Justice Alternative Education Program (JJAEP). Provides leadership and directs administrative work relating to a broad range of complex juvenile justice matters. Responsible for managing multiple divisions through deputy chiefs and directors to ensure completion of performance of the Department’s mission and objectives in compliance with applicable local, state, and federal mandates and standards. Manages a multi-million dollar operating and capital budget. Serves as primary liaison between the Department and other juvenile justice organizations, community organizations, and other stakeholders. Works with elected or appointed officials and executives in the County, City, State, and community on matters pertaining to the juvenile justice system and the domestic relations office.
Salary: $172,660.00 + Commensurate with experience
This is an appointed position, reporting directly to the Travis County Juvenile Board, and functions as the Chief Executive Officer for TCJPD. This classification has a broad scope of senior-level management and operational staff responsibility and directs complex operations through subordinate deputy chiefs and directors. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department’s 24/7 secure facility operations.
As the Chief Executive Officer for the Juvenile Probation Department the Chief Juvenile Probation Officer is responsible for:
- Manages human resources, fiscal responsibilities, and facility operations. Ensures activities are consistent with the goals and objectives of the Department. Appoints and assigns subordinate deputy chief probation officers, directors, and staff. Assigns, supervises, trains, and evaluates staff. Has hiring authority, administers disciplinary processes, performance management, policy adherence, and grievance matters.
- Provides leadership, guidance, and support regarding complex department activities.
- Plans, directs, and reviews the management and oversight for multiple divisions, through deputy chiefs, directors and staff.
- Provides and directs professional development of staff, training, and any certification of staff requirements.
- Directs the development and implementation of policy.
- Plans and develops service programs that help protect the community and promote public safety, prevent delinquency, reduce recidivism, and build competency in the youth involved in departmental programs.
- Responds to requests for information; provides technical information to other participants in the juvenile justice system; identifies and researches technical issues and recommends solutions.
- Directs research, evaluations, and analytical studies. Develops and determines recommendations that promote evidence-based programming and services.
- Oversees development of performance measures for functional areas to ensure alignment with short and long-range goals and objectives. Demonstrates continuous efforts for effective operations and delivery of services.
- Represents TCJPD in meetings with Travis County elected and appointed officials, department heads and officials from other governmental agencies, and the public. Makes presentations before various legislative, and community groups.
- Serves as liaison to County offices, public and private agencies, and the general public. Establishes and maintains effective and collaborative working relationships with other agencies and community organizations regarding Departmental, Juvenile Justice, and community priorities.
- Meets with members of the Travis County Juvenile Board, Judges, special task forces, and committees.
- Presents before the Travis County Juvenile Board, the Commissioners’ Court, and other entities in support of the budget, programs and services, and facility operations.
- Develops and implements managerial and monitoring systems. Plans for future services, budgetary, fiscal, and capital needs.
- Develops and executes interagency agreements and contracts.
- Directs and collaborates with others on research and studies in the development of priorities to include program development, projected employee requirements, funding projections, and future legislation.
- Maintains awareness of laws, regulations, and mandates and directs compliance with Federal, State, and local laws, standards, county policies, and directives from the Travis County Juvenile Board.
- Directs and oversees investigations regarding employee matters or complaints and allegations
involving juveniles receiving services from the Department.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Travis County Juvenile Board.